Sheer Gorgeousness

Sheer Gorgeousness
New Moon - Edward

new moon countdown

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Preface and Chapter 1 (First Sight)

You are introduced to the narrator of the book in the preface. No name and no nonsense. Just a matter of fact statement from someone who acknowledges the trouble they are in and the situation they are facing. Brave soul.

Interesting start to a novel that is meant for 'young adults'.

I think I should stop right now and not waste my resources in reading this, however I am intrigued, so I continue.

In Chapter One we discover the narrator is a young female about 17 named Bella.

This story is obviously told from her perspective as you read a little further. She is painstakingly normal, awkward, and the assumption being made is she has not grown into herself yet by the tone of her thoughts.
p. 10 "I didn't relate well to people my age. Maybe the truth was that I didn't relate well to people, period".

Personally, at this point is when I started to empathize with her character due to feeling the same awkwardness during my school years.

First day at a new school and she's the center of attention although not happy about it, makes a few tentative friends and is especially observant at midday in the cafeteria, observing a group of 5 students (three male, two female) sitting isolated in a corner. She gets the gossip on them from another girl sitting with her and you now know these are The Cullens.

Stop: Is this what this novel was going to be? A telling of a young girls high school struggles? Continue...

Biology class: Bella is forced to sit with one of the male students from the 'cafeteria clique' and he seems to dislike her on sight. (Something else I identify with). She makes it through class, finishes her day and retreats to the office to turn in her first day documentation. Edward (you now know), her biology cohort is there trying to change his schedule. Why? Bella finishes up and gets in her truck. She is contemplating her day and heads for home.

My take on this beginning is that it's going to be about the struggles of Bella to fit in with a new life style and some overwhelming weirdness with this guy Edward. I will continue reading the story because of course now, I am starting to need to know what the discord is from Edward to Bella and I want to relive (in my mind) a much simpler time in life before my reality comes crashing in on me again. Tomorrow: Chapter 2

0 comments: